For many years, dental professionals have relied on intraoral radiography, panoramic radiography, and conventional tomography for diagnosis and treatment planning. These commonly used imaging modalities produce only two-dimensional and/or distorted images with superimposition of structures outside the area of interest. There has always been a need for three-dimensional (3-D) imaging, but the technology has only recently become readily available. Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) uses a cone-shaped beam and digital processing to reconstruct a virtually distortion-free 3-D image using a single rotation in a sitting/standing position, similar to that of a panoramic radiograph. Kavo CBCT scanners are compact in size, capable of producing high-resolution 3-D imaging of hard tissues, and are compatible with computer-aided imaging software for improved diagnosis and treatment planning.
• Implant planning and site development
• Extractions — helps determine location of nerves, sinus, and roots
• Orthodontia — jaw symmetry, configuration of roots, impacted canines
• Maxillofacial — orthognathic surgery, fractures, jaw pathology
• Periodontics — sinus augmentation, advanced grafting procedures, periodontal defects
• Endodontics — canal measurements, additional canals, configuration of root canals
TMJ/TMD — detection of bony defects, asymmetry, spurs, condylar changes
• Imaging exposes patients to less radiation than traditional CT scans.
• The scan is fast and comfortable to the patient.
• Reduction in metal artifacts.
• One scan produces a volume of images that can be viewed and manipulated.
• Clinicians can illustrate recommended treatment plans to patients using 3-D software.
• No superimposition and minimal distortion.
• Allows clinician to visualize internal anatomy that cannot be diagnosed externally.
• Lower cost for patients when compared to traditional CT.
• Enhanced communication with patients and colleagues.
Please feel free to contact Aptos Dentists Drs. Jason and Allyson Drew at 831-688-6060 o to learn more about Kavo® Cone Beam 3D Imaging System.
Dr. Jason Drew is distinguished as one of America’s Top Dentists 5 years running and voted one of California’s favorite dentists. He uses the latest technology and techniques to make dentistry gentle, easy, and even fun. His passion is creating beautiful smiles, and he is an absolute perfectionist when it comes to smile design.
Dr. Allyson Drew is a leader and educator in dentistry. She is an adjunct professor of the University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco where she teaches restorative dentistry. As a student researcher, her work to improve access to oral health care earned her academic distinction and an award for…